About The Base
In early October 2013, two parents from West Sussex were desperate to offer their children somewhere for to skate and in a safe, welcoming environment to practice their skills.
They wanted somewhere that offered a place for all to sit and enjoy a coffee or lunch and where they could return to time after time, whatever the weather.
From this wish came the idea of The Base.
After a lot of hard work and a huge amount of help from the community, The Base opened to the public on October 4th 2014.
Our mission is to create a safe environment that provides facilities for local young people to enjoy urban sports, whilst working alongside the community and engaging other partnerships to create a sustainable social enterprise.
We would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been involved with building of The Base. Without the generosity of friends, supporters and funders we could not have made this dream a reality.
Fun Facts About The Base
- The Base took 364 days to build, from conception to Opening Day
- In 4 months 9,706 sessions have been sold, 2,700 individuals have attended, 12 members of staff have been employed and 60 memberships have been sold
- 3 Apprenticeships are being set up for volunteers in conjunction with Chichester College
- Volunteers have been given the opportunity to sign up to a Volunteering Scheme, which monitors their progress and awards participants a certificate to prove their involvement and help their future careers
- Work is being carried out closely with four At Risk young people to incentivise better behaviour and school attendance in conjunction with the Sussex Police Anti Social Behaviour Unit
- Work is being carried out with the Probation Service to support young people within the community, including providing Community Service Placements
- The Skatepark is used by Sussex Fire Service for Practice Drills
- The Base business model has already been recognised as successful and unique, and The Base have been approached for a potential franchise opportunity. It is also used as an example of Marketing and Branding for Marketing degree students at Chichester University
- The Base is ranked #6 of 16 Attractions in Bognor Regis on Trip Advisor
- The Café has been awarded a 5 star Food Hygiene Rating by the Food Standards Agency
- Participants have come from as far away as France to use the state of the art skatepark
The Base Skatepark is a registered Community Interest Company, built by Janina and David Cooper and an amazing group of supporters and volunteers. As a not for profit organisation, The Base is not only an amazing space for skatepark users of all disciplines, but is also a hub of the local community, offering a wide range of opportunities.
The dream of building an indoor skatepark has now been fulfilled, but The Base still needs help to continue maintaining the skatepark as a sustainable business to help the local community and beyond. If you or your business can help in any way towards any form of donation, we would be delighted to hear from you.